11 Things To Do After A Fire
- Check with the fire department to make sure your residence is safe to enter.
- Contact your local disaster relief service, if you need temporary housing, food, and other necessities.
- If you are insured, contact your insurance company for detailed instructions on protecting the property, conducting inventory, and contacting fire damage restoration companies. If you are not insured, try contacting private organizations for aid and assistance: United Way, American Red Cross, Salvation Army, DTE at 1-800-477-4747, & the Fire Dept. in your area.
- The fire department should see that utilities are either safe to use or are disconnected before they leave the site. DO NOT attempt to reconnect utilities yourself.
- Conduct an inventory of damaged property and items. Do not throw away any damaged goods until after an inventory is made and the insurance adjuster was inspected the damage.
- Try to locate valuable documents/records.
- If you leave your home, contact the local police department to let them know the site will be unoccupied or contact Michigan Fire Restoration for emergency board-up service, with no out of pocket cost for insured customers.
- Begin saving receipts for any money you spend related to fire loss. The receipts may be
needed later by the insurance company and for verifying losses claimed on income tax.
- Notify your mortgage company of the fire, if applicable, of the fire and request the Loss Draft Department to mail or email any required documents to be filled out to you.
- Check with an accountant or the Internal Revenue Service about special benefits for people
recovering from their loss.
Emergency Water Damage Tips
- Take care of the sensitive furniture like wood first
- Do not keep any wood furniture on the wet carpet
- Keep valuable objects like documents, paintings and sculptures to a safe, dry place
- Do not use any electric appliances around areas where the water damage is more, especially when the floors are wet
- If the ceiling is sagging then, stay out
- Call a professional as soon as possible. Every moment you wait, the damages will only spread.
For more info, call us at 248-796-1593 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.